Pages

05 July 2011

On being a first time parent...

I asked a SIL of mine if she had any books that she might recommend I read while we are expecting our first baby, she is so good to always be reading for fun or about a topic that she is interested in, so I knew she would be a great resource. I don't really care to read tons of books and get overloaded on everything either because I think a lot of it comes with just being a mom. Every child is different and you have to trust your own instincts and feelings. But I would still like just one book, something that I could draw back on when things seem like they are out of control. The book she suggested to me is On Becoming Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep. I just got the book and have read over the first chapter. It's amazing how simple it all is and it seems like it would just be common sense. But I have also realized over my many years that while stuff seems like it should be common sense sometimes it clicks better if we actually read it or have someone tell the stuff to us that we already know.

My husband and I had an experience like that just the other week. With trying to plan a move all the way across the country, planing to have a baby and have him start Grad school all this fall, things got a little stressful. That, plus all the extra hormones in me right now, well it didn't take rocket science to see we were stressed and not working together. My parents sat us down and even though they didn't tell us anything we didn't already know, for some reason it all clicked.

I am going to miss having my mom so close and her motherly wisdom as I become a first time mom, good thing my cell phone has free long distance on it, I'm sure I will be calling all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails